Saturday, March 5, 2011

Z50 Carburetor Mysteries

I haven't said anything about it, but the carburetor that came with the z50 has been confusing me for a few months now. I want to test the engine, but I have no idea if this carb could really do that. I've looked at many z50s, and I haven't seen a carb like it. It was also bolted on redneck style, since the threads are stripped. It has a gasket, which is also redneck style.

Here it is, after a lot of cleaning of course. When I took it apart, it looked very different from carbs I've seen (I haven't seen very many at all to be honest). I couldn't find any rebuild kits on ebay that looked similar to what I had at all, especially that lopsided circular, float bowl seal.










The main jet (or what I'm assuming to be the main jet) is also very strange and drops out easily if I whack the carb. It seems like half of what I need. It is clean though; I can see daylight through all of its passages.










Here is the float need on the left. The float needle from my C70 is on the right. There is no notch on the Z50 carb float needle that attaches to the float... the parts of this carb are so minimalist! I tested it though, and it works by gravity alone.











All of this said, I asked about it on a few small Honda groups and they assured me that I have everything I need to have a working carburetor. Very interesting indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment